Sunday, January 22, 2006

Drawing in the cold no. 2



I´ve been out drawing in the cold again, it´s been one of those lovely winter days with sparkling sunshine and glistening snow. The thermometer said -9°C but it felt warmer than last time I went out (see earlier post). Today it was dry and cold – much easier to dress for than damp and cold.

I was sitting at a park bench while drawing the oak tree and since sitting on a cold surface seldom does any good if you´re trying to keep warm, I didn´t finish the shadowing there. I just took some notes and finished them at home. Then I went closer to home and drew the houses – they are on the street where we live. I drew them standing near a sidewalk, and I got a lot of glances from passers-by, but noone said anything. (About drawing in public: I´ve noticed that people seldom start talking to you while you´re drawing if you avoid looking at them. Eye-contact seems to be the key that makes people feel it´s okay to take a look at what you´re doing and start a conversation. If I don´t feel like talking, I just concentrate on my drawing and ignore the people around me.)



My new favourite tool for drawing when it´s cold is this cheap little bic pencil which I otherwise use only to do crosswords. It´s actually quite good to draw with since it´s 2B, and you don´t have to bring a sharpener for it. The eraser on it is crap, but I usually don´t use erasers anyway when I sketch outside. I kind of like to keep my mistakes on the paper and just keep drawing over them. By the time I finish my drawings the mistakes are often covered by five or ten new lines (or other mistakes), so no one will see them anyway. I hope.

5 comments:

Sunday Afternoons said...

These are lovely. They remind me of the cold winters in Canada.

seesue said...

I always love when you post. I'm shivering just looking at your latest sketch. Interesting that your first 2 visitors today are Canadian must have something to do with the cold, you think?

Terri said...

Oh these are lovely. I love the way you have the snow heaped up at the base of the tree. Just beautiful. :o)

Lin said...

I too enjoy using one of these inexpensive mechanical pencils ... BUT NINA, your sketch is AWESOME!!! LOVE EACH LINE AND DETAIL!!!! Just gorgeous!

MD said...

Superb drawings with lots and lots of atmoshpere.
Good tip about avoiding talking to people when drawing outside..:-)
MD