Tuesday, August 08, 2006

More paintings


Thought I´s post some more of my vacation watercolor trials. Yeah, I know, the paper buckled on this one. I´ll have to fix that one of these days. (It´s usually easy to get rid of the buckles, just spray the back of a buckled watercolor painting and lay it between two clean papers under a bunch of heavy books.)

Anyway. Painting this was almost magical. The whole scene was totally quiet where I sat, not even a boat passing by although the main fairway is between the two nearest islands in the picture. Everything was calm, and nothing, not even a little fish, rippled the surface of the water.

Just around the point of the right island, this funny little building is standing on the tip of the cliffs, maybe five meters from the water. It´s old, a bit decayed, and incredibly beautiful. (And no, it doesn´t lean like that, it was just me and my Moleskine Watercolor lying down while drawing it.) The two black wires are there to give some support in cold autumn storms. It´s got a sign on it saying "Mind the cable", there´s an electric wire going underwater from this little piece of architecture to the island across the sound. Why don´t they build things like this nowadays?

Standing by the little cable house looking out over the sea you would be able to see the island where I made the next painting. Don´t know the name of those flowers in English, but they made a formidable sea of pink among the rocks. I am totally in love with Quinacridone Magenta, so I´m always glad to find views like this, where I can use my fav color without having to invent a fitting subject for it...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nina these are breath-taking. I am particularly fond of the bright orange reflection of the water, your happy leaning builing and energy that I can see coming out of your paintbrush. Thank you for sharing. It is always inspirational to look at your work.

Teri said...

WOWEE NINA...ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!! wow oh wow!

Ger O'Rourke said...

Ah there you are! Welcome back...I missed your updates and of course your wonderful pictures. It sounds and looks like you've had a wonderful holiday. Take care.

Unknown said...

Lovely, Nina - I love the water in the first one - so smooth and flat - looks completely tranquil.

And I'm in love with quinacridone magenta, too...just gotta have it in everything!

Felicity Grace said...

Very beautiful! The warm colours in the reflection are so lovely.

Shelly McC said...

Love these paintings! Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nina, you are such an inspiration to me! Your work is truly beautiful and I enjoy just wandering through it. I am just getting back to drawing and keeping a sketchbook--and a visual journal--after a much too long hiatus. You have introduced me to several helpful sites, products, and people--Lamy Safari (I love my new pen--I've been searching for ages for one that used permanent ink;--and the Noodler's ink. And thank you for guiding me to Beany (I subscribed) and The Drawing Club as well as the wonderful journal-making site of Teesha Moore.

Jana Bouc said...

You are amazing and these are fabulous paintings. I'm curious what their size is? The magic really shows in that first painting--it looks like one of those gift paintings where everything just goes perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful watercolors!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I'm a big fan of your work. I just wish there would be more to see. More often.
Yeah, I'm selfish and greedy. Can't help that ...

Linda T said...

These are wonderful paintings!

Alison said...

This is lovely - I'm sure I would have fallen for the temptation to use ink outline but you have done so well without.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work, as usual, Nina.

suzanne cabrera said...

Beautiful job with the reflections in the water! This is something I always struggle with.

Bill said...

These are beautiful.
I like the bright and bold color above the rocks.
But the top one is my favorite. Such clean and clear and convincing reflections in the lake.
And there is a definite mood here. It's a place I'd like to be.
Bill