Sunday, September 30, 2007

Life drawings


I went to a life drawing session last week, the first of this season. I felt all rusty, but after one and a half hour (e.g. just before the session finished...) I started to get a grip of things and my drawings started to shape up a bit. I did these two seven-minute poses in my Moleskine, and played around with the background afterwards.

I find that there´s a tremendous difference between models, some are easier to draw, and some take some time to get used to. It´s as if your eyes have to adjust to how the model´s body is built. It´s fun though, no matter if it´s a model you like or not. There aren´t many other moments during a normal work week when I am so totally concentrated and in a "zone" as during these life drawing sessions. It´s a bit like I imagine meditation. After a drawing session it´s like waking up to the real world again, as if I´ve been somewhere else for a while.

13 x 21 cm, pencil, coloured pencils and Copic marker airbrush on Moleskine sketchbook pages.

10 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

Super drawings, Nina! It's interesting how even though he is slim, you've captured those subtle angles that shows that he is not young. Love the texture and colour!

Anonymous said...

Nice drawings - and I agree that some models are so much easier than others!

Anita Davies said...

Love that bobbly texture you have going on in these Nina.
The back view is my fav...I love back views.

José Louro said...

Yes, i felt the same way too.
Well, thats what drawing is all about.

dibujandoarte said...

These drawings are really good. I like how you play with the background! It's funny I just commented something similar to what you say. the wrold usually dissapears for me while I draw or paint. I can spend hours without realizing... best wishes, Martín.

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

What interesting drawings. How did you get that wonderful texture in the background?

Unknown said...

I love your figure drawing session work- you have such great line quality and proportion in your sketches.

Making A Mark said...

I like the frottage - it really sets off the body shapes and your clean lines.

suzanne cabrera said...

Wow...I so know what you mean about the differences in models. It's my experience that some inspire me way more than others....AND unlike the real world, it isn't those with the most perfect figures that give me the best results. Hmmm, funny how that works.

I love your background images. The add such an interesting dimension to your already beautiful sketches.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful. I know what you mean about getting into the zone while in a life drawing session. It's easy for me to do that, too. I forget there's anyone else in the room until I feel someone leaning over my shoulder. I miss it.