Monday, December 17, 2007

Last page of first December sketchbook


When I started this December challenge of drawing something from imagination every day, I made two 14-page sketchbooks especially for this month. This drawing is the last page of the first of those folded books. Don´t know who it is, I just drew this face as an excuse to play with patterns and colour.

I thought I´d show you what the sketchbook itself looks like:

And, if you unfold it (it´s made by one single big sheet of paper), it looks like this:

I´ve been thinking that this would be a great way to fold, say, a watercolour paper if you´d like to make a bunch of smaller paintings during a journey, for example. It makes a sketchbook that´s easy to carry around, has fourteen pages, and when you unfold it, the paper is painted only on one side - i.e. you could easily cut loose the single paintings and frame them or send them as postcards or just... fold paper planes with them or whatever. :)

15 x 20,5 (x a bunch, to get the size of the large sheet of paper...), pencil and watercolour on drawing paper.

12 comments:

Deborah said...

This is a great idea. I have a pattern for folding a sheet of paper like this. I'm going to look for it now. Thanks for sharing this.

Linda T said...

Wow, this is clever! I've been enjoying your imagination drawings, too.

juj said...

Ooooo - I LOVE seeing all the pages at once like that. Simply marvelous. and a great idea to boot.

Inger Carina said...

Wonderful watercolors with imagination images all December!
Thanks for all the inspiration you have given this year.
Kind regards Inger C

Maria - depict said...

Det är så härligt att se dina bilder!

Catherine said...

Nina, this is beautiful!
Do you have folding and cutting instructions that you could share with us?

Gláucia Mir said...

yes, I second the motion to ask you to share the cutting and folding instructions! And thanks for the inspiration. I too need to draw more from imagination. I seriously lack in that department!

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Love the checkerface lady...and yes, your sketchbook format is cool!

suzanne cabrera said...

Like all the others have already said...this is SUCH a great idea. I am always struggling with the fact that I love having a sketchbook but would sometimes like to have a more "finished" piece of art out of it.

This really settles that dilema.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this, both the way it turned out and the concept behind it! I too would greatly appreciate directions for folding/cutting if you're willing. I love your unique style and creative imagination. I haven't been by in awhile and plan to go back through your archives and catch up later today.

Anonymous said...

OK, I figured out the cutting and folding (duh, definitely not rocket science!). And it looks like your finished size is about 6" x 8" if I'm doing the conversion right from cm. This is so exciting. It's exactly the right size and I love the way it turns out. I just got a shipment of watercolor paper and I'm going to make some of these today. Oh...one question: How did you bind them? It looks like it would be easy enough to staple or just punch two holes and tie with twine.

Anonymous said...

Me again...isn't that 16 pages? I just made one, but can't figure out how you ended up with 14 (unless you have 3 sets of 4 (12) plus the cover to equal 14? I used 140 pound hot press paper and I think it's too thick. Next time I'll try 90 pound.